Dogs: Maximum of 3 dogs welcome
Sleeps Max: 2
Single storey dog friendly cottage
- Perfectly located for really easy, rural dog walking and cycling along the Weavers Way
- Close to dog-friendly, sandy beaches (see our Beaches page for more information)
- This quiet corner of North Norfolk is a real hideaway, yet only 2 miles from the town of Stalham.
- Meales Farm Shop* is a great place to shop for local goodies nearby.
- Smallsticks Cafe* is by one of the closest beaches – and very dog friendly too!
- The Norfolk Broads are nearby – perfect for boat hire, birdwatching and dog friendly pubs.
- Views across the fields from the living room and garden – hare and herds of deer can be seen!
- The on-site owners are very helpful and hospitable and will help you or leave you in peace.
- If you want to book nearby accommodation at the same time for friends/family, we have The Lodge, Vineyard Cottage and Bristow’s Barn very close by.
* We offer our repeat guests a voucher for both of these local small businesses (among others) as we really appreciate our repeat guest and love supporting local businesses!
For the dogs:
- Dog bowls and throws provided – dogs are very welcome to join you on the sofas.
- Two dog crates available for free on request (W18 x L29 x H18 and W27 x L41 x H27). Other sizes also available.
- We would prefer that your dogs are not left alone in the property unless you are 100% confident that they will not get stressed.
If you do go out, please let the owners know and ensure they have your telephone number so they can call you if needed. OR
- Dog sitting. If you would like to go out for a few hours and leave the dogs but are not confident they will settle,
please look at our It’s A Dog’s Life page for recommendations of local dog sitters.
- Great walks from the door through fields or along the Weavers Way quiet rural path.
- Dog biscuits in the welcome pack.
- Fully secure garden – see below for more details about fence heights.
For the humans:
- All heating and electricity is included
- Bed linen and towels are provided
- Local maps and leaflets
- Free WiFi
- Wood burner will be set up on arrival. Additional bags of logs can easily be obtained locally.
- Crochet blankets for guests
- Tea, coffee, sugar and milk
- Welcome basket often including eggs, biscuits or cake and a pot of preserves.
About the property
All about the inside:
This is a high ceilinged, generous sized room with amazing inglenook fireplace, lots of interesting art and decorations, comfy sofas and a coffee table. There is a flat-screen smart TV, portable radio, bookshelves and very neatly fitted kitchen including oven, hob, microwave and fridge with plenty of storage space. Off this is the….
Bedroom (double bed) with hanging space and window seat. Beside the bedroom is the ensuite shower room with toilet, sink, chair and hanging space.
This generous and light-filled room contains a metal-framed sofa, coffee table and table and chairs. The conservatory is fully fitted with blinds to ensure privacy. French doors open out onto the spacious lawn of the private garden – a lovely place to sit and enjoy the sunlight and peace.
All about the outside:
Off-road parking is on the shared driveway from which guests can access their private garden through the picket gate. There is a path leading to the conservatory access door.
There is seating on the lawn to enjoy the views across the fields and the peace and quiet on a sunny day (south-facing). Additional secluded seating area with parasol is next to the conservatory. The fencing between the drive and the garden is 5ft+ reed panels and this extends to the back of the house giving you a good level of privacy from the owners’ section of the house. The wall along the front, with the metal gate in, is approximately 3ft high.
Will this property suit my dogs?
- No smoking in Badger’s Retreat please.
- Arrival time is 4pm and departure time is 10am but please do ask if you want different times.
- We do not have a BBQ at the property, but guests can bring their own to use.
- All major supermarkets delivery to Badger’s Retreat. If you would like us to put it away, please book a slot between 10 and 2.
- Electric car, bike and mobility scooter charging is NOT available at this property.
The annexe is on one level. There is a small step into the conservatory and the front door entrance. The doorways are not wide enough for wheelchairs as this is an older property. The shower room is ensuite to the bathroom and the shower has a small step in. The property does not cater specifically for mobility, audibly or visually impaired guests but please do contact us if you would like to know more to help you.
“A very enjoyable stay in a comfortable cottage. Terri and Richard were very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble. We did a lot of exploring, including the Weaver’s Way walk which is very good for dog walking. We also visited the Old Vicarage Gardens and is only a short distance away. It is an amazing place and a must visit if you like gardens – or even if you don’t!” – Angie, John and Jango
“Another amazing holiday at Badgers Retreat, a whole week this time which gave us time for exploring further afield, a lovely walk from Holkham round to Wells for lunch at the beach cafe, which is really good and dog friendly. As always the cottage and cake were perfect, we will definitely be back again!” – Dawn and Michael
“This is our second stay at this cottage and we love it. The Weavers Way is so close by for wonderful dog walks and everywhere is so dog friendly. We love Norfolk. Winterton on sea beach is amazing – the dogs can run free and is the best local beach in our opinion. The cottage has a beautiful dog friendly garden and we love the conservatory too. Yet another relaxing week away with our 3 pooches. Thank you for a great holiday again!”– Elaine and Jules
“What a beautiful and tranquil place this is, so relaxing and comfortable. It is so lovely because the owners think about people like us who love our dogs and would not want to put them in a kennel so they provide not only for us but think of our fur babies too. The cottage was spotless and clean as well as very welcoming and provided for. We would recommend this place to anyone to stay here, you don’t need to go anywhere else but just enjoy the garden (if it is sunny of course!!) and relax.”– Val and Jim
How to find us
Or – From Stalham. From the A149 which bypasses Stalham take the road signposted to Bacton/Happisburgh (Stepping Stone Lane). Turn left onto the B1159 and take the first left again, just after SAM business premises. Stay on this small, tree lined road until you come out into open farmland. Bristows Farmhouse where Badgers Retreat is located will be the second property on the right hand side with a wall in front of it.