Single storey cottage with very secure private garden
“Great holiday in a very dog friendly cottage. Lovely country walks from the door.
Superb welcome cake, thank you Liz!”
Brian’s Cottage is a 1930’s bungalow with some original features in a rural idyllic location, surrounded by fields. A great deal of care and attention has gone into making this a truly dog friendly, welcoming cottage.
- Close by a hidden footpath leads to the church, connecting with a maze of further country paths
- The quiet and easy Weaver’s Way. is a short walk away and can be part of a circular walk.
- Nearby is the North Walsham and Dilham Canal,where the surrounding meadows are a site of special scientific interest. All very dog friendly.
- Nature is all around – on the far side of the field edging the end of the garden there is a large badgers sett.
- You can regularly see deer, hares, tawny and barn owls, buzzards, kestrels and other birds of prey.
- The private enclosed south-west facing garden is perfect for watching the sunset year round.
All about the inside
Through stable style front door to hall where there is a stand with umbrellas and walking sticks. The hall has a nightlight, walk-in cupboard with coat hooks, laundry basket and pegs, cleaning equipment and iron.
Filled with a lovely C-shaped sofa which has two recliners built in. There is a dining table and chairs for four and a Samsung Smart TV to watch. Put your cuppas on the nest of tables and select games, puzzles, maps, books and guides from the bookcase. You will notice that the cottage is decorated throughout with mostly Norfolk original country paintings by local artists. Big double doors open out to the patio and garden with stunning views over the fields and up to the church.
The kitchen is very well equipped with electric double oven and hob, John Lewis washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge-freezer with 3 large drawers, corner microwave, DAB digital radio, kettle, toaster, slow-cooker, sandwich toaster, whisk and blender. All you need for some holiday cooking! Stand at the kitchen sink and enjoy views over fields to Honing Common. There’s a proper retro pantry too with crockery, kitchen items and food storage. Double bin for waste and recycling. Open the lovely stable door to patio and garden so you can let the sun and fresh air in whilst keeping the dogs in too.
The kingsize ottoman bed has Hotel Luxury Egyptian cotton bedding to help you sleep in comfort. There’s a chest of drawers and a tallboy wardrobe and rather lovely views of front garden.
Twin single ottoman beds, again with Hotel Luxury Egyptian cotton bedding. There’s a Compactum wardrobe and drawers and here too you have views of the front garden.
Has an enamel bath and electric shower over with screen and support handles on wall. Washbasin and lavatory.
All about the outside
There is enough parking on the private driveway for two cars. Entrance is through through the high and solid double gates to the private and secure garden. In here there is a gravelled area with outdoor furniture, rainbow Indian sandstone patio with outdoor dining furniture and parasol. There is a lawned area and a flower garden. The entire garden is fully enclosed by six foot fencing and gates making it very secure and dog friendly.
The footpath to the gate at the end of the garden allows you private access to the church footpath, so walks straight from the garden! There is a shed too if you want to bring your bikes (up to 4) plus a chimnea and gas barbecue for those long summer evenings. And, by the side of the house there is a lovely warm dog shower for those muddy paws and sandy bits!
In the local area
We have several pubs nearby all dog friendly. The Butchers Arms is 0.8 miles away at East Ruston and can be accessed along a quiet country lane. Cross Keys, Dilham, Crown, Smallburgh and the White Lady at Worstead.
A 10 minute drive will get you to the fabulous Bacton Woods for a long or short sheltered walk in mature woodlands. The same length of drive will get you to several of our local sandy and dog friendly beaches – Cart Gap is only 4 miles away and Happisburgh, Bacton and Walcott not much further.
The property is also ideal for keen walkers along the Weavers Way and Honing lock etc.
- We accept up to four dogs but please do ask us if you have more as we can be flexible!
- Brian’s Cottage is non smoking.
- First night or special occasion meals (very reasonably priced) can be provided by Liz, the owner, on request.
- Plenty of baked goodies are provided on arrival
- The secure garden and peaceful location is ideal for reactive dogs.
This is how dog friendly we are!
- One medium crate on request
- Dog treats, dog bowls, poo bags, dog beds
- Throws for sofa and beds
- Outside warm dog shower with doggie shower pack
- Plenty of dog towels.
- Fully enclosed secure garden (6ft high mesh fence)
- Top quality doggy life jackets in a section of sizes – to use free of charge
- A double bike trailer for your dogs.
- Separate 54 litre capacity freezer specifically for raw feed
- Wonderful, quiet countryside walks from the door!
What else we provide for you!
- Electricity and heating
- Bed linen, towels and kitchen linens
- Tea, coffee, sugar, homemade preserves and cake
- Fresh produce from our garden when available
- Information pack about the cottage and the area
- Walking books, maps, local history and guides
- Games and puzzles
- Calendar of local events
- Free wifi, Superfast Fibre Broadband, smart T.V
- Washer/dryer, dishwasher, hairdryer, iron and board
- Travel cot and highchair on request
- Private secure shed with room for four bikes
- Storage for canoes
- Outdoor furniture, chimnea and gas barbecue
Approx 4 but we are flexible!
“Great holiday in a very dog friendly cottage. Lovely walks from the door. Superb welcome cake, thank you Liz!” – Sharon and John Meredith Sonny and Zia Lurchers
“What an amazing week. Thank you for everything Liz and a birthday surprise for P on arrival to copious toys for her and Sherlock to play with. We felt at home and relaxed on our first day. Wonderful location and amazing walks. Can’t wait to come back soon. Will be booking ASAP! Thank you!” – Becky, Charlie and Payton (2year old) with Sherlock Aus Cattle Dog
“From the moment we walked through the door it felt like we were visiting old friends. Everything we need was there. The heart shaped cake, still warm from the oven was lovely. Our dog loved the walk through the gate at the end of the garden straight on to the foot path to the church. I could write an essay on the loveliness of this dear little cottage but it is easily summed up in one word – PERFECT!” – Jacquie & Nick Lawson
Availability & Book Online
Location & Directions
How To Find Us:
How to find us: 1 Waterside, East Ruston Road, Honing. NR28 9PF
What3Words Location: ///rainfall.overcomes.freedom
From the A149 at the crossroads for Worstead and Briggate, take the turning for Briggate. Drive through the village, past Honing old Railway Station. At the T junction turn right. Follow the road around the church till you see Brian’s Cottage, 1 Waterside, on the left hand side.
Some fabulous comments from the Brian's Cottage guests book!
Do also check out our independent reviews on Up Front Reviews
"Great place, lovely hosts and good weather. Couldn't be better!" - Geoff and Claire with Benson and Chester Hungarian Viszlas
"Great holiday in a very dog friendly cottage. Lovely walks from the door. Superb welcome cake, thank you Liz!" - Sharon and John Meredith Sonny and Zia Lurchers
"What an amazing week. Thank you for everything Liz and a birthday surprise for P on arrival to copious toys for her and Sherlock to play with. We felt at home and relaxed on our first day. Wonderful location and amazing walks. Can't wait to come back soon. Will be booking ASAP! Thank you" - Becky, Charlie and Payton (2year old) with Sherlock Aus Cattle Dog
"A wonderful cottage in a great location with all you could ask for. Taking Connie for walks to the church - perfect!"
"Best cottage so far, Perfect. Peace, ideal for the dogs!"
"Cottage was a perfect hideaway, centrally located in a beautiful surroundings, close to everything we could wish for. We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary together. No distractions. Liz and Tim supplied a beautiful cake, flowers, card etc to make our celebrations extra special. Reason to return all by itself. Thank you both for a holiday we shall not forget x"
Looking for a dog friendly holiday cottage in Norfolk?
View our availability calendar...
Dog Friendly | Holiday Cottage | Norfolk
We are members of The Holiday Home Association (formerly EASCO - English Association of Self Catering Operators). Book with the confidence that you are using a bona fide and reputable business that has committed to the HHA Code of Practice. In the unlikely event of a complaint that cannot be resolved with us, you can use the HHA Dispute Resolution Service that provides for low-cost arbitration.
East Ruston Cottages Limited
Reg.No. 10048164 at Companies House, Cardiff
Sea Lows, Crowden Road, Eccles, Norfolk NR12 0SJ