Dogs: 4 but flexible / reactive dog friendly
Sleeps Max: 4
Single storey cottage with secure private garden
“Great holiday in a very dog friendly cottage. Lovely country walks from the door.
Superb welcome cake, thank you Liz!”
Brian’s Cottage is a 1930’s bungalow with some original features in a rural idyllic location, surrounded by fields. A great deal of care and attention has gone into making this a truly dog friendly, welcoming cottage.
- Close by, a hidden footpath leads to the church, connecting with a maze of further country paths
- The quiet and easy Weaver’s Way is a short walk away and can be part of a circular walk.
- Nearby is the North Walsham and Dilham Canal, where the surrounding meadows are a site of special scientific interest. All very dog friendly.
- Nature is all around – on the far side of the field edging the end of the garden there is a large badgers sett.
- You can regularly see deer, hares, tawny and barn owls, buzzards, kestrels and other birds of prey, there is a barn owl box high on the back garden oak tree.
- The private enclosed south-west facing garden is perfect for watching the sunset year round.
- A short drive will take you to the dog friendly sandy beaches nearby (see our Beaches page for more)
A two course home cooked dinner can be provided on the day of arrival for a small charge of £10pp. This can be discussed with Liz and Tim before your stay. Some examples of Liz’s delicious dinners are:
- Indian curry and sides.
- Chicken pie with air fried chips and veg.
- Homemade burger with air fried chips.
- Selection of pastas.
Or special occasion meals (priced on order)
- Sea bass with seasonal veg.
- Seafood platter.
- Beef en croute.
- Thai table.
See gallery for pictures! (Liz also caters for vegetarians and vegans).
For the dogs:
- Crates. If they are crate trained and you would like to use a crate, please do ask us – we have a medium size one here at the cottage and Sue can provide other sizes and are happy to loan them out for free. We know how bulky they are to pack! Do bear in mind that Brian’s Cottage is not huge so please check with us first.
- Dog sitting. If you would like to go out for a few hours and leave the dogs but are not confident they will settle, please contact email@example.com for a dog sitter recommendation – Shannons Sitting Services – or the owners are next door and might be able to help!
- Dog treats, dog bowls, poo bags
- Selection of dog beds, doggie paddling pool, cool mat
- Throws for sofa and beds
- Outside warm dog shower with raised trough for small dogs
- Doggie shower pack
- Plenty of dog towels
- Fully enclosed secure garden (6ft high mesh fence at the back of garden to allow a view across fields)
- Top quality doggy life jackets in a selection of sizes – to use free of charge
- A double bike trailer for your dogs.
- Separate 54 litre capacity freezer specifically for raw feed (if you want to order with free delivery see here)
- Wonderful, quiet countryside walks from the door!
For the humans:
- 7.2kw electric vehicle charger with honesty box
- All washing and dishwasher detergents, kitchen paper and toilet rolls
- Electricity and heating
- Bed linen, towels and kitchen linens
- Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar
- Homemade preserves and cake
- Home freshly baked bread, cake, chocolate brownies
- Fresh produce from our garden when available
- Information pack about the cottage and the area
- Walking books, maps, local history and guides
- Games, puzzles, reading books
- Free Superfast WiFi – Upload 10.5Mbps, Download 55.1Mbps
- Smart TV
- Washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, slow cooker
- Hairdryers, iron and board
- Travel cot and highchair on request
- Private secure shed with room for four bikes
- Storage for canoes
- Outdoor patio dining furniture, swing chair and sun loungers
- Chiminea and gas barbecue
- Dinner on arrival (if requested)
About the property
All about the inside:
Through stable style front door to hall where there is a stand with umbrellas and walking sticks. The hall has a walk-in cupboard with coat hooks, laundry basket and pegs, cleaning equipment, dog bowls, mats, towels and shower kit.
Filled with a lovely C-shaped sofa which has two recliners built in. There is a dining table and chairs for four and a Samsung Smart TV to watch. Put your cuppas on the nest of tables and select games, puzzles, maps, books and guides from the bookcase. You will notice that the cottage is decorated throughout with mostly Norfolk original country paintings by local artists. Big double doors open out to the patio and garden with stunning views over the fields and up to the church. Airing cupboard with iron and ironing board.
The kitchen is very well equipped with electric double oven and hob, John Lewis washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge-freezer with 3 large drawers, corner microwave, DAB digital radio, kettle, toaster, slow-cooker, sandwich toaster, whisk and blender. All you need for holiday cooking! Stand at the kitchen sink and enjoy views over fields to Honing Common. There’s a proper retro pantry too with crockery, kitchen items and food storage. Double bin for waste and recycling. Open the lovely stable door to patio and garden so you can enjoy the sun and fresh air whilst keeping the dogs in.
The kingsize ottoman bed has Hotel Luxury Egyptian cotton bedding to help you sleep in comfort. There’s a chest of drawers and a tallboy wardrobe and rather lovely views of front garden and carefully placed bird feeders.
Twin single ottoman beds, again with Hotel Luxury Egyptian cotton bedding. There’s a large gentleman’s wardrobe and drawers and here too you have views of the front garden and bird tables.
Has an enamel bath and electric shower over with screen and support handles on wall. Washbasin and lavatory.
All about the outside:
There is enough parking on the private driveway for two cars. Here is the wall mounted 7.2kw tethered electric vehicle charger. Entrance is through through the high and solid double gates to the private and secure garden. In here there is a gravelled area with outdoor furniture, rainbow Indian sandstone patio with outdoor dining furniture and parasol. The south west facing garden with views across the fields to Honing church has a large lawned area and a flower garden. The entire garden is fully enclosed by 6ft fencing and gates making it very secure and dog friendly.
The footpath to the gate at the end of the garden allows you private access to the church footpath, so walks straight from the garden! There is a shed too if you want to bring your bikes (up to 4) plus a chimnea and gas barbecue for those long summer evenings. And, by the side of the house there is a lovely two tier warm dog shower with trough to take the back ache out of washing small dogs, a ground slab for the larger hounds – for those muddy paws and sandy bits!
IN THE LOCAL AREA
We have several pubs nearby all dog friendly. The Butchers Arms is 0.8 miles away at East Ruston* and can be accessed along a quiet country lane. The Cross Keys at Dilham is another and The Crown at Smallburgh are nearby.
* Currently only doing take aways (Feb 2022)
A 10 minute drive will get you to the fabulous Bacton Woods for a long or short sheltered walk in mature woodlands. A 10 min drive will get you to several of our local sandy and dog friendly beaches – Cart Gap, Happisburgh, Bacton and Walcott. (see our Beaches page for more)
The property is also ideal for keen walkers along the Weavers Way – and old railways track walk which runs from Cromer to Great Yarmouth and passes through Honing and Dilham, allowing for a circular walk along the North Walsham to Dilham Canal.
Will this property suit my dogs?
Yes! In a word. Single storey, fully enclosed garden with a high fence all round. The mesh fence at the back is 6ft high and ideal for allowing views across the fields but keeping dogs in. Absolutely ideal for reactive dogs as very little can be seen or heard from the garden.
- We accept up to four dogs but please do ask us if you have more as we can be flexible!
- Brian’s Cottage is non smoking.
- First night or special occasion meals (very reasonably priced) can be provided by Liz, the owner, on request.
- Plenty of baked goodies are provided on arrival (please let us know if you have any food allergies, or would like vegan equivalents)
- The secure garden and peaceful location is ideal for reactive dogs.
- All major supermarkets deliver. Please ensure your delivery is booked to arrive after 3pm on your day of arrival.
- Guests are welcome to charge their EVs at the property for a small charge.
Brian’s Cottage is all on one level with bedrooms and bathroom easily accessible. Given the age of the property it is not possible to be completely wheelchair friendly and there are two small steps into the front door, but there are no steps into the kitchen or patio doors. The bath and shower have wall mounted grab handles. If you would like to know more about whether this property is suitable for any particular mobility issues, please do contact firstname.lastname@example.org
“Great holiday in a very dog friendly cottage. Lovely walks from the door. Superb welcome cake, thank you Liz!” – Sharon and John Meredith Sonny and Zia Lurchers
“What an amazing week. Thank you for everything Liz and a birthday surprise for P on arrival to copious toys for her and Sherlock to play with. We felt at home and relaxed on our first day. Wonderful location and amazing walks. Can’t wait to come back soon. Will be booking ASAP! Thank you” – Becky, Charlie and Payton (2year old) with Sherlock Aus Cattle Dog
“A wonderful cottage in a great location with all you could ask for. Taking Connie for walks to the church – perfect!”
“Best cottage so far, Perfect. Peace, ideal for the dogs!”
“Cottage was a perfect hideaway, centrally located in a beautiful surroundings, close to everything we could wish for. We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary together. No distractions. Liz and Tim supplied a beautiful cake, flowers, card etc to make our celebrations extra special. Reason to return all by itself. Thank you both for a holiday we shall not forget x”
How to find us
How to find us: 1 Waterside, East Ruston Road, Honing. NR28 9PF
What3Words Location: ///rainfall.overcomes.freedom
From the A149 at the crossroads for Worstead and Briggate, take the turning for Briggate. Drive through the village, past Honing old Railway Station. At the T junction turn right. Follow the road around the church till you see Brian’s Cottage, 1 Waterside, on the left hand side.