Dogs: 4 dogs welcome
Sleeps Max: 4
Dog friendly Norfolk seaside holiday cottage
“”Wow, wow, wow. Amazing cottage, amazing location and amazing owners. Anne was so welcoming and made us feel so comfortable. Rose Cottage is beautiful, so clean and welcoming and so many lovely touches, all designed to make your holiday enjoyable. The welcome goodies were amazing. Lovely walk to the Lighthouse Pub, amazing Sunday Lunch. Kingfisher fish bar, chippy tea was fantastic and Watsons cafe at Bacton is so lovely. Thanks to Anne and East Ruston Cottages we now really understand what “Dog Friendly” means. We will be back.”
Tucked away in the seaside village of Walcott, this little cottage is truly dog friendly. Just cross the road and you are on the beach and a short walk in either direction will take you to a great selection of cafes and pubs – all dog friendly of course!
- Walcott village has a great dog friendly pub a short walk from the cottage – The Poachers Pocket.
- The Lighthouse Inn is a little further out of the village but an easy walk and very dog friendly.
- The beach is very accessible, sandy and huge – read more about it on our Beaches page!
- There is a small and very well stocked village shop – popular with locals and visitors alike.
- Walcott Dog Park just around the corner!
- Want a 99 with a flake? There is an old style ice cream van often parked up along the sea front.
- The Kingfisher Cafe does fabulous fresh cooked food and great coffee and is next door to the fish and chip shop too.
- Vegan? One of the best vegan cafes in the area is a short walk away. Dog friendly Cafe Carmel*.
- Or wander along to Watson’s Cafe* – great coffee, cake and lunches.
- Be sure to explore much of the Norfolk Broads and the amazing Norfolk, dog friendly coastline – all 90 miles of it!
- Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Sheringham and Norwich are all easy to reach for a day trip.
- If Rose Cottage is booked and you want another seaside cottage for 4 – take a look at Dormy.
* We offer our repeat guests a voucher for both of these local small businesses (among others) as we really appreciate our repeat guests and love supporting local businesses!
For the dogs:
- Throws for the sofas and beds
- Dog bowls/toys/poo bags
- Dog Buggy for small dogs (others available on request)
- Dog biscuits in the welcome pack
- textured non-clip tiled flooring
- 2 x warm (or cold) dog showers outside with shampoo and towels
- Small, medium and large crates available on request
- Dog sitting. If you would like to go out for a few hours and leave the dogs, we would prefer they weren’t left alone unless you are 100% confident that they won’t be stressed. You can find our dog sitter recommendations on our It’s A Dog’s Life website page.
- Stair gate on request
For the humans:
- Free wifi
- All bed linen and towels included (hand and bath towels)
- 2x Fans
- Beach chairs and umbrella
- Welcome basket with local, freshly baked cake
- Tea, coffee, sugar and milk plus some whole coffee beans for the coffee machine.
- Maps, books, games, jigsaws, pads, pens, pencils and colouring books.
- Central heating throughout all included and first basket of logs and kindling for woodburning stove (further supplies available locally)
- Iron and ironing board
About the property
All about the inside:
Entrance is via the cosy conservatory with solid floor and furnished with 2 comfy arm chairs and a coffee table. Perfect to sit and enjoy the sunshine on cooler days and dogs will love it here too. From here straight into the…
Just off the hallway is the utility room with storage space, dog towels and throws. Hoover, ironing board and iron in here too. Next to this is the downstairs toilet/sink. The stairs lead off the hall too.
Very well fitted out with some character pieces of kitchen furniture. A great space to cook and eat. There is a fold out table to seat 4 and appliances include electric oven/hob, large freestanding fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster, coffee bean grinder and coffee machine. No dishwasher. Coffee is taken seriously here – fresh beans are provided for you to grind and use in the machine to suit your exact taste!
Just off the hallway the lounge has 2 sofas (1 is a 4ft sofa bed) and a comfy armchair. Solid floor throughout, non slip and easy to clean. Flat screen TV and bookcase with a selection of books and maps. Games too.
They are not too steep, have a handrail and are carpeted. Dogs are allowed upstairs but do ask if you would like a stairgate to stop them.
Divan double bed with a metal headboard. Hanging space and side tables with lamps. Carpeted.
2 single beds, wardrobe, chest of drawers and bedside cabinets. Carpeted.
Modern bath and separate shower cubicle. Toilet, sink and storage too. Light and airy.
All about the outside:
A small area but well laid out. Parking for one car. There is also free parking on the road running through the village. Get a spot near to the end of the lane and you won’t have very far to walk at all.
The area is paved and gravelled and well fenced all round with solid fence – 4ft+. There is a wooden table and chairs, a bbq (charcoal) and an outside shower for sandy paws or wetsuits. There are neighbouring properties but generally very quiet and the road is a dead end track so very little in the way of passing traffic or people.
Will this property suit my dogs?
If your dog loves the beach, then absolutely! It is a very short walk (on lead) across the road to the beach where you can walk (off lead) for miles! If your dog is sociable this is going to be perfect for them too. There will be other dogs on the beach most days and the cafes and pubs nearby are all dog friendly. If your dog is used to having access to the whole house and outside too, this will definitely suit them.
- Rose Cottage is a non-smoking property
- Bookings are from Friday – Friday with short breaks available. See availability calendar.
- There is no washing machine at this property.
- Electric car, bike or scooter charging is NOT available at this property.
- Please do ensure that you consider our neighbours by keeping dogs from barking unnecessarily
- Beds are all made up and if you would like your dogs on beds, please do just use the throws provided.
- This property may not be suitable for noise reactive dogs.
- All supermarkets deliver here. Please ensure your order is booked for when you are here to receive it.
Parking is directly outside and there is only a shallow step up into the cottage. There is a downstairs toilet but both bedrooms are upstairs. The stairs are carpeted and not too steep but there is a 90 degree turn at the top. The property is not suitable for wheelchairs. The property does not cater specifically for mobility, audibly or visually impaired guests but please do contact us if you would like to know more – firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to find us
How to find us: Rose Cottage, St Helens Road, Walcott. NR12 0LU
What3Words location: ///spoils.broom.swatting
Enter the village along the B1159 from Stalham. The road starts to run alongside the beach. Pass the Kingfisher Cafe and fish/chips shop then start to look for 2 small tracks running at 90 degrees to the road a few yards apart. The first is Helena Road and the second is St Helens Road. Turn up here and Rose Cottage is just a short way up on the right. The gate is a solid wood sliding type.