Dogs: 3 but flexible
Sleeps Max: 4
A jewel of a cottage, a short walk to the beach
“We had another wonderful week at Ruby Gem, Penny and Chris couldn’t have been more thoughtful and helpful.
The cottage is very clean and well equipped with all anyone could want.”
The village location of this gem of a cottage so close to the beach means that it is the perfect dog friendly Norfolk holiday cottage! Miles of walks from the door and all you need in the village itself, means you can leave the car alone for a week. If you want to explore you have miles of beaches and other interesting villages up and down the coast.
**10% Single occupancy discount available!**
- You can be at the dog friendly pub – The Fisherman’s Return – in moments.
- There’s a good fish and chip shop* and a dog friendly café* – see more on the Winterton website here
- To find out more about the dog friendly beach have a look at the beaches page on the website!
- A lovely selection of walks on the coast and inland are in this great little e-book here.
- Walks from the door are along the miles of beaches, the acres of dunes and easy rural inland paths.
- Ruby Gem booked for the dates you want? Try Hidden Gem, Jack’s Shack, Beachcomber or Skylark in Winterton instead?
* We offer our repeat guests a voucher for both of these local small businesses (among others) as we really appreciate our repeat guest and love supporting local businesses!
For the dogs:
- Throws for sofas
- Crate (in the garden shed) and others on request.
- Spare leads, poo bags, tennis balls and travel water bottle
- Outside hose
- Mud Daddy
- Lots of doggy biscuit treats!
- We would prefer that your dogs are not left alone in the property.
- Dog sitting. If you would like to go out for a few hours do look at our recommendations for dog sitters here.
- Enough freezer space for raw food. The Raw Dog Food Company delivery to all ERC properties with a min order charge of £10.
For the humans:
- Welcome basket with local bread, milk, eggs, homemade cake, biscuits, preserves and, of course, dog treats!
- All bed linen and towels
- First load of logs for woodburner
- Sky TV
- Filter coffee machine
- Supplies of instant and filter coffee, tea, sugar
- Games, books, maps
- Stair gate
- Superfast broadband 54Mbps
- Washing and dishwasher tablets
- Picnic hamper with flask, plates, glasses and cutlery
- Hair dryers in both bedrooms
- Iron and ironing board
- Parasol for the garden and beach chairs
About the property
All about the inside:
Entrance through the front door with a single step up into the hallway, where there are coat hooks on the wall and a tray for sandy shoes underneath. From the hall you can access the kitchen, bathroom and the rest of cottage. Ruby Gem is tiled throughout ground floor with riven slate style tiles, apart from the living room that has laminate flooring with plenty of rugs.
The kitchen is very well equipped with electric oven and hob, dishwasher, washing machine, undercounter fridge and freezer. On the work tops you will find bread bin, toaster, kettle percolator and microwave. In the cupboards are plenty of pans, pizza trays, roasting tins and of course all the cutlery and crockery.
In our fully refurbished bathroom you can choose to relax in the bath or if you prefer have a shower, and naturally there is the usual handbasin and toilet.
Open plan living/dining area
The corner sofa unit fits very comfortably in this bright and airy room. 42” Sky tv to enjoy and a brand new woodburner for cooler nights. The seaside theme continues through here with lots of lovely and homely touches. The dining table seats four comfortably and the floor is tiled all the way through. All restful colours and lots of light. Perfect to come home to after a day on the beach! The open plan stairs are a real feature of this room, have a hand rail on the wall side and lead up to the bedrooms. A stair gate is attached to the bottom of the stairs.
King size bed in this lovely light room with plenty of storage space, full length mirror and a wooden floor. A blackout blind and curtains will keep out the early morning sun if you want to have a lie in. Laminate flooring.
Twin 3′ single beds with memory foam mattresses, wardrobe, chest of drawers and bedside tables make this a cosy and comfortable room. There’s also a blackout blind and curtains which will keep out the early morning sun for those who like a lie in. Laminate flooring.
All about the outside:
There is off road parking for two cars in front of the cottage. A very slightly sloping path leads down to the gate and then a step down and you are at the front door (actually at the side of the house). The fully enclosed garden has a good amount of space, with a range of garden furniture. The garden itself is surrounded by 5ft high solid fences to the sides and back, overlooking the back of the friendly Fishermans Return. The large ‘Dog House’ shed contains nearly all the extras to make a holiday go with a swing. Windbreak, beach chairs, BBQ, charcoal, kites, buckets and spades. Plus for the dogs, a chucka, dog beds, throws and towels and a large dog crate.
Will this property suit my dogs?
If your dog is noise reactive then probably not as this is a residential area and the pub is close by. However if they are happy with surrounding residential noises (and there aren’t a lot as the cottage is tucked away down a back street) then they should be fine. You will of course see other dogs being walked locally but there is a lot of space on the dunes, beach and inland paths so you can minimise any contact. The beach is a short walk away with acres of offlead walks on the beach, the dunes and inland paths so if they like a good long walk from the door, rather than getting in the car each time, this is for them!
The garden is a good size, laid mostly to grass and very secure.
- Ruby Gem is a non smoking property.
- Please do ensure that you consider our neighbours by keeping dogs from barking unnecessarily or left alone if possible. Your co-operation in this is much appreciated.
- Electric car, bike and mobility scooter charging is NOT available at this property.
- Most supermarkets deliver here and we can take in your delivery before you arrive. Please ensure it is booked between 10.30 and 2pm.
- Check in is from 3pm, check out by 10am please. The owners will be in touch if there is an option of arriving earlier.
Parking is right outside the property. There is a slope down through the garden gate to the entrance door and a threshold step into the property. The narrow doors and steep staircase do make it unsuitable for anyone with limited mobility. Bathroom is on the ground floor but both bedrooms are upstairs. The property does not cater specifically for mobility, audibly or visually impaired guests but please do contact us if you would like to know more – firstname.lastname@example.org.
“This is our second stay at Ruby Gem and the new owners have made some lovely improvements – we particularly appreciated the home made cakes and jam! We had various day trips at this stay and if you have children with you (ours are 7 and 9) we would recommend the Mega Maze at Hemsby, Bewilderwood and Wroxham Barns. We had fun on the penny slot machines at Great Yarmouth but our favourite day was a lovely sunny day here on the beach at Winterton. Our dog, Ella, has loved her twice daily walks to the dunes and we loved the doggie touches round the house. Food wise recommend Poppys, the chip shop and Dabs and Crabs for fresh seafood”
“We came away very much in need of a rest, and Ruby Gem has been perfect for us. The house is beautiful and so nicely presented, and in such a great location. We’ve walked down to the beach every day! We would definitely recommend having a bite to eat at Poppylands in Horsey; a gorgeous 40’s themed tea room. We also ate at Nelson’s Head (Horsey) which was great food too. Horsey beach has not disappointed us for seal-spotting either – we’ve seen lots, and they came quite close. We’re going home feeling happy and well-rested, and would love to come here again!”
“Ruby Gem….the clue is in the house name. It’s a gem in a quiet backstreet of central Winterton, with ample off road parking out front, a well equipped kitchen, cosy lounge, spacious bathroom and two bedrooms big enough for a family of four. Functional dog secure garden for morning coffee, but with the dunes and beach on your doorstep I can see why. Ample WiFi and Sky TV for those who want to veg in the evening….especially if you have teenagers as well as dogs. I’m rather reluctant to tell others about the delicious home-made cake, biscuits and jams that were waiting for us on arrival (along with fresh eggs), less they book and prevent us from returning!”
How to find us
As you reach the village, turn left at the church as the main road bends to the right, this is Black Street and the sign says ‘to the beach’. Follow the road through the village past the Post Office and turn right in front of the Village Hall onto King Street the cottage is half way along on the right just past the rear entrance into the pub carpark.