All aboard the Skylark – perfect coastal chalet
“What a wonderful, quiet week we had here!
Every morning we walked through the dunes to the huge beach”
A simple, neatly fitted out chalet on a quiet private estate in Winterton. Guests love the peacefulness and tidiness of the estate and the closeness to the wonderful dunes valley and the beach. The perfect Norfolk dog friendly chalet!
- You can easily walk to the dunes and into the village and visit the dog friendly Fisherman’s Return pub.
- There’s a small supermarket, fish and chips shop, post office/newsagent and tea rooms.
- There is no clubhouse or shared facilities on the estate so it remains quiet and peaceful.
- It is very well looked after and has a large expanse of grass for everyone to use at the edge of the valley.
- There are miles of walks along the coast in both directions and inland in the acres of stock free countryside. Some of which can be found here.
- If you have children then there are two small areas of play equipment on the estate.
ALL ABOUT THE INSIDE
This is a small and very well thought out space. There is a sofa and chair, tv, DVD player. The dining table seats 4 and the really well fitted out kitchen area has an oven, hob, microwave, toaster, fridge/freezer and dishwasher (please bring your own tablets!). For such a small space there is an astonishing array of cooking utensils (that’s of course if you don’t want to eat at the pub, tea room or fish and chip shop in the village!)
Off this is a small hallway with a useful storage cupboard with airer, hoover, some games etc.
Another well thought out space. Double bed with storage built up to the sides and above, giving you room to hang and store clothes. A chest of drawers also fits in and a tv.
Bunk bed room
Substantial bunk beds in this room with large single mattresses so comfy enough for adults. Clever and tidy storage space. Please note that the top bunk is not suitable for children under 6 but we do have a put-up bed that could be used instead. When you book you can select this from the choices on the booking form. There is room for a travel cot also.
Skylark has a new bathroom (April 2021) comprising of shower, WC and sink. Please note – there is no longer a bath.
ALL ABOUT THE OUTSIDE
There is plenty of parking in marked spaces just off the road through the estate (10mph limit) and you can easily park within yards of Skylark. From there just a short walk across the mown lawn to get there. There is a dedicated area outside the back and a table and chairs that can be taken out to sit on. The owners have recently had the patio extended.
WILL IT SUIT YOUR DOGS?
If your dog wants to be on the beach within minutes of leaving Skylark, this will be for them! Read below about the limited outside enclosed area but for dogs not need to be allowed off in the fully secure area, but walked for miles on the beach and dunes, this would work very well.
- Arrivals from 4pm and check out by 10am please.
- Due to cleaner restrictions there is no welcome pack provided at Skylark but we can provide one via East Ruston Cottages at a cost of £15. To include fresh milk, dog biscuits, cake/biscuits and some other local Norfolk goodies. Please add this to your booking if you want it and we will be in touch to find out what sort of things you would like for you and your dogs.
- There is no enclosed outside area for dogs but there are two rings attached to the walls, front and back, should you wish to use them. There are also windbreaks to construct a temporary outside secure area (stored in the outside storage box) and a stair gate so you can have a door open but keep your dogs in if you need to.
- There are heaters in every room bar the bathroom – the chalet heats up quickly when these are on.
- There is no wifi available at this property. 4G signal is reliable on most networks.
- Please do select the pull out bed option when booking if you have two children under 6.
- Whilst we appreciate that this is not going to be ideal for all dogs, the lovely location of this chalet will certainly be suitable for many quieter, well socialised dogs and the walks from the door are fabulous!
- The park is closed between 31st October- 24th March. However in December it is open 18th-30th. But it is only allowed to be occupied for 7 days/6 nights.
This is how dog friendly we are!
- Bowls (2 small metal)
- Sofa throws
- Windbreaks to form secure outside areas
- Stairgate to block off doors to outside if you want them open
- Fabulous grass play areas and walks from the door!
What else we provide for you!
- All bed linen and towels
- Plenty of crockery and cutlery
- Comprehensive welcome folder with walks
“What a wonderful, quiet week we had here! Every morning we walked through the dunes to the huge beach. We had plenty of cakes and coffee sat outside the Dunes Cafe and we enjoyed the village pub too. The chalet was immaculate and we were really surprised how quiet the chalet park was… and everyone we met was so friendly. We really didn’t need to get in the car all week! We loved sitting outside in the morning with our breakfast too. We hope to come back next summer. Thank you!”
“The estate this chalet is on (Winterton Valley) is known as Doggie Heaven, and rightly so, and this chalet is one of the best I have stayed in, over 6 years visiting twice a year. I absolutely love this site and this chalet in particular, and so do my two small dogs, who positively skip when they get out of the car and realise where they are again.”
“The chalet itself is spacious and light, with virtually every need catered for; fitted with everything you could possibly want to make your stay as good, or better than a hotel. There are obviously all the usual things, but also lots of windbreaks, to create a sense of seclusion for your outside space, there are door guards so you can make the place secure for your dogs, whilst still enjoying maximum air circulation, there is even a dishwasher.”
“What more could you wish for? We will certainly be returning in 2020 and more than once!”
Availability & Book Online
Location & Directions
How To Find Us:
Postcode: NR29 4BX
What3Words location: ///honeybees.brightens.deputy
Approaching Winterton from Great Yarmouth/Hemsby:
Before you reach the main part of the village you will see a sign to the Winterton Valley Estate, turn right down this road, get to the bottom and enter the park, following the road round,past the main house, until you see Chalet 250 across the grass. Park in any one of the parking bays.
Approaching Winterton from Martham:
Do not enter the main part of the village (ie where the church is) but follow the road round to the right, heading towards Hemsby. After a short while you will see a sign to the Winterton Valley Estate, turn left down this road and follow the instructions above.
Some of the fabulous comments from the Skylark guest book...
Reviews also on the Up Front Reviews website
"We had a brilliant holiday thank you the chalet was really good the location was spot on the walks on the dunes and the sea walks were brilliant scenery outstanding and to see the seals in there natural environment was great would definitly go back to Winterton again." - Kindest regards Doug & Susan Harborne.
"I stayed in Tony and Marion’s chalet on the Winterton Valley estate during the first week of June 2019. On arrival I found it to be exactly as described, beautifully clean and impressively equipped, there was nothing missing that I could have possibly needed. The double bed was extremely comfortable, as was the furniture provided and all appliances worked efficiently. The large TV in the lounge and DVD player were also great. A welcome folder was available which was thorough, accurate and informative, giving suggestions for local walks and information on the dunes and nearby Grey Seal colony."
"The park was very well maintained with the grass being cut frequently and, due to the site rules in place, was very quiet and relaxing. The beach is beautiful and accessed from the site via the dunes, there are benches along the top of the valley where you can relax and enjoy the views. Winterton village is only a short walk away (10 minute’s max) and has shops, a pub and fish and chip shop. The Dunes ‘Best Beach café’ is also easily accessible. There are several walks around the village and its surroundings as well as a number of National Trust and other interesting locations to visit within a reasonable driving distance."
"I would thoroughly recommend the chalet for a quiet and peaceful break away; in fact I enjoyed it so much that I have already booked a return visit in September!"
Looking for a dog friendly holiday cottage in Norfolk?
View our availability calendar...
Dog Friendly | Holiday Cottage | Norfolk
We are members of The Holiday Home Association (formerly EASCO - English Association of Self Catering Operators). Book with the confidence that you are using a bona fide and reputable business that has committed to the HHA Code of Practice. In the unlikely event of a complaint that cannot be resolved with us, you can use the HHA Dispute Resolution Service that provides for low-cost arbitration.
East Ruston Cottages Limited
Reg.No. 10048164 at Companies House, Cardiff
Sea Lows, Crowden Road, Eccles, Norfolk NR12 0SJ