Dogs: 4 but flexible / reactive dog friendly
Sleeps Max: 2
Single storey, detached, modern and well equipped
“Thank you so much for our welcome pack. We have had the best week’s holiday ever. The Lodge was like home from home, the bed was so comfy. We have been all over the place and still didn’t see everything. There is so much to see, so we shall be back. Our poor dog needs to go home to recover but she loved all the walks.” – Bob, Elaine and Lulu (rating the Lodge 5*, 5*, 5*!)
Small but perfectly formed! Very well fitted out inside and the super comfy, super king bed gets a lot of mentions in the comments book. In a very quiet part of peaceful and rural East Ruston village.
- Great walks on the Weavers Way and the local rural footpaths – on the doorstep!
- Nearby Stalham town has all you need for doggy and human supplies.
- Our great selection of dog friendly sandy beaches are a short drive away.
- A short drive to several dog friendly pubs and cafes.
- Wheelchair accessible with ramp access from the parking and two sets of double doors to enter.
- Lots of light and an enclosed garden with decking make it a great summer choice.
- Modern heating and insulation make it cosy in winter too.
- If The Lodge isn’t available for your dates – we have The Peanut and Bumblebee Cottage and Badger’s Retreat nearby – ideal for couples.
- Take a look at the Last Minute Availability page too if you can book at short notice
For the dogs:
- Dog bowls and towels
- Dog beds x 2
- Hot and cold outside dog shower
- Great walks from the door onto the Weavers Way
- Off road parking
- Fully enclosed garden
- Crates. We would prefer that your dogs are not left alone in the property unless you are 100% confident that they will not get stressed. If they are crate trained and you would like to use a crate, please do ask us. We know how bulky they are to pack!
- Dog sitting. If you would like to go out for a few hours and leave the dogs but are not confident they will settle, please see our recommendations here.
- Enough freezer space for raw food. The Raw Dog Food Company delivery to all ERC properties with a min order charge of £10.
For the humans:
- Fresh towels, sheets and linen
- Sofa bed linen if needed
- Tea, coffee, sugar and some welcome goodies from the owners on arrival
- Free Wifi
- Deck chairs
- Charcoal BBQ
- Information on places to eat, walk and visit
- Walking maps and guide books (showing local walks).
- Disabled/wheelchair access
- Iron and ironing board
- Retractable washing line and a drying rack with pegs.
About the property
All about the inside:
Open plan kitchen/dining/living area
Very light and airy with French doors onto the decking. Leather chair and matching leather sofa which can also be a comfortable sofa bed. The wall mounted flat screen TV has a DVD player and a selection of DVDs for you to watch. As well as Freeview, there is Fire TV with Prime Video, Prime Music and Alexa. The flooring throughout is non-slip LVT.
A substantial folding table and comfortable chairs are provided in the kitchen area which is neatly and beautifully designed to maximise the space. There is a ceramic hob, electric oven, microwave, dishwasher and fridge and everything you could need for a self-catering holiday including a good selection of cooking utensils and plenty of crockery and cutlery. There is an espresso machine available which takes Nespresso classic pods (not VertuoLine).
Just off this room is a cupboard containing the washing machine and the table top freezer (34 litres, approx. half size of an under counter freezer) plus iron and ironing board, all neatly tucked away.
Fully tiled modern wet room with a state of the art toilet (ideal for disabled/infirm guests), sink and shower.
The bed is a super king zip and link so it can be 3ft twin beds if you prefer. Plenty of room and storage space in the wardrobe and under bed drawers. There are French doors in this room which also open out straight onto the decking.
All about the outside:
The Lodge is down a private drive with easy parking just outside the front door for 2 cars.
At the back there is a good size enclosed area of decking and grass. Lights all around the decking edge make it easy to see at night and there is patio furniture for 4 plus a barbecue, plus parasol and two loungers. All around the garden on 2 sides there is chestnut paling, approximately 4 ft. Behind that is evergreen laurel hedging over 6’ providing a visual as well as physical barrier. The bottom of the fencing is filled with chicken fencing to stop little dogs getting through and the gates are at least 1.2m high. On the other side there is a solid fence. The lower part of the fence in the rear garden, that adjoins Vineyard Cottage garden, has a solid section at the bottom.
There is also a summer house with wicker chairs and deckchairs.
Will this property suit my dogs?
The Lodge suits a lot of dogs. It is off a private track so there are not likely to be any passing dogs if your dog is reactive. The garden is a good size and is fully grassed with 2 separate sections that are fully secure all round. The gates at the front are between 1.2m and do allow views across the fields where they may see deer or hares possibly so perhaps not ideal for active sighthounds. Small escapees may be able to get out through the front gates if they try hard! All on one level means no stairs for them, apart from a couple down from the decking to the grass.
The short walk on the very quiet lane to the Weavers Way means that walks are very easy to access and generally very quiet.
- The Lodge is a non-smoking property.
- Electric car or bike charging is NOT available at this property.
- Electric wheelchair charging is permitted inside as long as no fire exits are blocked.
- Arrival is 4pm and departure 10am, but this can sometimes be altered.
- Beds are all made up but if you would like your dogs on beds, please bring your own linen and let us know.
- Week long bookings are Friday to Friday and short breaks are available in the quieter months.
- A great walk from the door along the Weavers Way and back along the canal. CLICK HERE.
- The parking at the front of the property has level access ramp leading to the level decking and access doors.
- The main door has a width of 69cm, or entry can be made by the rear double patio doors with a minimum route width of 1m.
- The inside of the property is step-free with kitchen/living/dining space, bedroom and bathroom.
- The bedroom door is 79cm wide, and has at least 1.2m x 3m space by the bed. Access to the wardrobe is past the end of the bed with a width of 60cm.
- The bathroom is a wet room with level access shower, shower stool and Gerberit Aquaclean toilet and handrail; there is more than 1.2m free space.
- The bathroom door is 71cm wide.
- There are steps down from the decking to the lawn, or step-free access via the ramp and the gate.
- Electric wheelchair/mobility scooter charging is permitted inside – please ensure all fire exits are kept clear.
“We have had the most wonderful holiday in “The Lodge”. It has gone far too quickly, although we have enjoyed so many outings i.e. Hillside Sanctuary, Horsey Windpump, the absolutely gorgeous beaches and lovely market towns. I think we have nearly walked our dogs’ legs off! Three very tired pups going to Wales this morning! We have all loved our first stay in Norfolk and will definitely be back to do all the things we couldn’t fit into our week” – Liz and Bob with Alfie, Eddie and Sandy xx
“What a wonderful break at The Lodge – a real home from home and the wonderful touches of biscuits for 3 cocker spaniels, welcome pack and flowers. Fantastic walk at Wels Next The Sea to Holkham – walk through the forest and then back along the beach and then a cup of tea and cake at the welcoming cafe. All very dog friendly. Wonderful meal at The Star Inn Lessingham but do book as it is very busy. Other places visited Cromer, Bacton Woods is worth a visit and a long walk with the dogs along the beach at Sea Palling. We have to come back as so much more to see. Sams Pets in North Walsham very helpful.” – Kim, Richard, Bramble, Bracken and Huxley
“This is our third visit to The Lodge. Need I say more?? May the person reading this love it as much as we do. May you find all the home comforts, hidden treasures and friendly people we love so much that keeps us coming back time and time again. Enjoy!” – Patrick, Sophie and Barney
“What a lovely and peaceful holiday for us all. And what a superb place the Lodge is. We were very impressed from the moment we came in the front door for the first time and this feeling did not diminish the whole time we were here. The thought and touches that John and Jo had put into the design is second to none. The welcome pack was a lovely touch. Everything was so perfect for us. Thank you. There are lovely walks around the countryside near the Lodge. Other areas we liked were Bacton Woods and the walks along the Weavers Way. We also liked the beach at Happisburgh which is very dog friendly and, at low tide, there is a big expanse of sand for your dog to run around. Also worth a mention is the Star at Lessingham for a fantastic Sunday roast. Great food and you can take your dog too!” – Geoff, Ginny, Hettie and Blue
How to find us
Or – From the A149 which bypasses Stalham take the road signposted to Bacton/Happisburgh (Stepping Stone Lane). At the T junction turn left onto the B1159 and take the first left, just after SAM business premises. Stay on this small, tree lined road, bearing left over a small bridge into open farmland. Continue along this road as it passes Springfield Kennels and Broadland Eggs. Just opposite Broadland Eggs there is a small access road that leads to The Lodge (black wood clad building) with the house beside it being called Poplar Farm House.