Dogs: 5 dogs welcome
Sleeps Max: 4
Super dog welcoming, stylish annexe
Super dog welcoming, stylish annexe
“Beautiful cottage, extremely comfortable and homely. Very dog friendly, we loved all the little touches.”
ALL JULY AND AUGUST BOOKINGS WILL ENJOY A SPECIAL SUMMER PIMMS PICNIC GIFT – comprising a gorgeous Victoria Cottage jute bag, an extra large fabulously nautical picnic rug, a very cheeky 1L bottle of Pimm’s, a set of John Lewis outdoor high ball glasses & of course Happisburgh’s own Nero’s biscuits for the favourite dogs in your life!
Victoria Cottage is a brick and flint, two-bedroom, dog friendly Norfolk country cottage in Happisburgh, one of the most popular conservation villages in North Norfolk.
- Happisburgh has a Post Office shop, dog friendly pub, the Hill House, and Smallsticks Cafe at Cart Gap
- Like fresh fish? Happisburgh has THE best fresh fish shop in the area! Cromer Crabs and smoked fish too plus wine.
- The Cottage was originally part of the Old Victoria Pub from the 1800s. The main part is now lived in by the lovely John and Louise, who always do their best to look after their dog and human guests next door. Or leave them in peace. For that reason, the cottage annexe has been set up to give guests maximum privacy.
- There are dogs, cats, turkeys, chickens and geese on site but all very separate from Victoria Cottage.
- Great walks from the door to The Star at Lessingham (dog friendly pub) and to the beach and all around the surrounding countryside.
To get more of a feel for Victoria Cottage, the area and the owners, have a read of the blog here!
For the dogs:
- Dog towels, throws, bowls
- 2x large dog crates on request. Other sizes may be available.
- We are happy for dogs to be left alone in the property for a maximum of three hours.
- Dog sitting. If you would like to go out for a few hours and leave the dogs but are not confident they will settle, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a dog sitter recommendations or Sue may be able to do it. Please do let Louise and John know if you are leaving your dogs alone so they can listen out and call you if there are any problems.
- Enough freezer space for raw food. The Raw Dog Food Company delivery to all ERC properties with a min order charge of £10.
- Stair gate available on request
- Dog ramp for cars
- 1x large raised dog bed with soft bedding
- Dog bowl stand & bowl for our taller dogs
- Spare bowls, towels and toys for your doggy gang
- Large & medium cool coats for hot weather
- Large dog life jacket x2 (spinone size)
- Secure outside area and plenty of walks from the door!
- Large dog bed & whiskey barrel bed in cottage + extra plastic dog beds available too
- Plenty of ideas about beaches to visit here
Plan your walk to the beach from the cottage here
For the humans:
- Fibre Broadband (900Mbps)
- All bed linen and towels
- All electricity
- Quiet area to work
- Shed in parking area, houses a vacuum and range of cleaning products, should you wish to use them!
- 5% discount for ERC guests at the Lessingham Star pub.
Travel cot, high chair, booster loo seat for little ones, potty & step up stool (please let us know in advance if you require these)
About the property
All about the inside:
Parking and Entrance
Parking is on the large gravelled area in front of the main house. If you park to the right of this you are directly opposite the lounge window of Victoria Cottage. Go round to the right of the main house and let yourself in through the gate and then into the front door.
The front door enters directly into the kitchen with a tiled floor. The entire downstairs area has dog friendly ceramic floor tiling – no worries about white carpets here! As you would expect in such a comfortable and welcoming place, the kitchen is very well equipped. An oven and hob, dishwasher, fridge freezer, microwave, kettle, toaster and 2L slow cooker all make self catering easy. And there is a washing machine and tumble dryer too.
We consider coffee a holiday essential so there is a cafetiere and of course a wide range of other kitchen equipment for self-catering. Enjoy your meals at our lovely large pine oval table with 4 chairs. First you will have to clear all the wonderful welcoming goodies from it, left for you and your dogs to enjoy.
Downstairs is totally open plan and perfect to enjoy relaxing on the large 4 seater leather sofa in front of the multi fuel stove. You can watch the TV with built in DVD player or you can read in the beautiful reading chair with its selection of carefully chosen books. Your dogs can also relax in their own large Farrow and Ball painted wooden dog bed complete with coordinating bedding!
Taking the centrally located open tread staircase you reach the landing and off this is….
Ensuite Bedroom 1
This large and stylish bedroom has countryside views and a king-size bed with duck filled duvet, pillows and crisp cotton bedding. There is a large antique chestnut chest of drawers and hanging hooks. Also a small and very comfortable sofa. The ensuite bathroom is smart, immaculately clean and modern with a large electric shower, toilet and sink.
Ensuite Bedroom 2
A slightly smaller room with views down over the private yard. You can enjoy a good night’s sleep in the standard double bed with duck filled duvet, pillows and crisp cotton bedding. Hang your clothes in a 1930’s gentleman’s wardrobe (he won’t mind!!). Enjoy the modern ensuite bathroom with electric shower, toilet and sink.
All about the outside:
The cottage is an annexe just off a private dead end loke (Norfolk track). There is only one other occupied property on this loke and the neighbours are very friendly and dog savvy. Car parking is outside the main house and just a few steps round the corner from the front door of Victoria Cottage. There is a private and charming courtyard area that is accessed from the front door, fully enclosed with solid fencing so dogs can be let out from the cottage with 100% security and no danger of seeing other dogs.
It is presented in such a way that various gates can be used for privacy, security and, if needed, for separating dogs, maybe during feeding times. It is divided into two areas with a little gate separating the areas. In the main area there is a very comfortable John Lewis table and chairs set under the pergola – this enjoys the morning sun – but if sometimes guests want to eat away from their dogs, if their dogs can become protective around food, the dogs can be kept in a separate area, but in full view.
The green bench in the other section of the courtyard enjoys full sun from early afternoon and into the evening and we have set a little memorial stone discreetly under the bench dedicated to all of our dogs that we have loved and lost along the way. Also in this area is the tidy little shed where there are a selection of crates and beds. The plastic beds could be used in the yard if the dogs prefer to lounge in a bed whilst their humans are relaxing . There are bowls and stands here too, so dogs can choose to drink out of small or larger bowls at ground level or on a stand (and they will find it is personalised for them!)
There is also an area of astroturf in the yard if some dogs find going to the loo on a grassy area more suitable and there is a dedicated dog poo bin for the cottage for hygienic disposal of poo. There is also a tap and magic hose in the yard for washing any toilet area or simply showering dogs after a sandy and salty day on the beach. The paving is all textured, so less slippery for older dogs, as are the floor tiles in the cottage.
Will this property suit my dogs?
If your dogs like a bit of luxury and some lovely quiet and easy walks from the door, then definitely yes! The outside area is fully enclosed with high fencing, ensuring that no other dogs or humans can be seen… and there are very few to see anyway so it is a good place for reactive dogs to relax. There is very little in the way of activity outside – humans, cars, other dogs – so most dogs will find it very peaceful. Walks from the door are along a very quiet lane and connect with some easy and quiet footpaths in the area.
- Dogs are allowed upstairs at Victoria Cottage but if you would like them to share your bed please either bring sufficient throws or your own bed linen. Just let us know.
- We have 3 rescue turkeys and 2 rescue geese in addition to our rescue battery hens. They are secure in a fenced off areas in the owners’ garden, completely separately from the annexe, but you are welcome to visit. Our neighbours also keep poultry and have other cats and dogs but are very mindful of our guests.
- Victoria cottage is a non-smoking property
- Most supermarkets deliver. If you would like to arrange a delivery, we can put it away for you. Please book a delivery time between 10 and 2.
Parking is a short walk from the front door and there is a single step into the building itself. The ground floor is open plan. Bedrooms and bathrooms are both upstairs. Stairs are not too steep and have a bannister either side. Bathrooms (en suite) have easy access showers.
What a beautiful home from home. Well equipped for us all, we soon relaxed in cozy surroundings, especially loved the log burner. The bed in the front room is one of the comfiest (if not THE comfiest) I have ever slept in. Thank you for your recommendations of what to see, where to visit best places to eat etc – all very helpful. Getting up early and seeing the seals on the beach at Horsey was a fabulous experience! We will certainly be recommending Victoria Cottage as a fabulous place to stay. With friendly owners and lovely neighbours too. Thank you for sharing with us!
Beautiful cottage, extremely comfortable and homely. Very dog friendly, we loved all the little dog touches. Thank you for the welcome pack, delicious!
Thank you for a lovely stay, the cottage is gorgeous and very homely. Everything you could need and great touches. Thank you for a fab welcome pack, it made our stay extra special 🙂
My first impression when we walked through the door was magical. And that didn’t change throughout our stay. It’s so rare to find a cottage that is not just dog tolerant but so dog friendly and even harder to find one as beautiful as Victoria Cottage. At the end of our week we didn’t want to go home. Beautiful cottage and a beautiful place, we will be back!
An absolutely charming cottage in a wonderful location. The welcome treats for both us and Barney were delightful (especially the eggs!) and we’ve all had a brilliant week. Thank you Louise for the tip about Sea Palling, which is well worth a visit, not to mention the seals at Horsey and lovely doggy walks to and the local beaches. Thank you both for a fantastic week at your cottage xxx
Wow, wow, wow! We have had an amazing holiday. Victoria Cottage is so welcoming and has a really relaxing feel. Enjoyed great weather whilst here and had great days out at Bacton Woods, Sheringham Park and Felbrigg Hall, along with daily evening and morning walks along the beach. Matilda and Harry have gas a good time – thank you. We would definitely recommend and hope to return soon xx PS – thank you for the welcome goodies – all delicious xx
We have had a wonderful time staying in your beautiful, cosy and luxurious cottage. It is so peaceful and relaxing here. The bed is truly like sleeping in a big hug – we have never slept so well on holiday. Thank you so much for the welcome pack of lovely local produce and free range eggs from your own hens. Also the doggy welcome pack was a lovely addition. Banjo thoroughly enjoy the Nero biscuits and Nature’s Menu treats. We are so sad to be leaving but hope to return one day. We will also miss the turkeys gobbling – they made us smile every time. Thanks again! xx
Home from home, beautiful bed, lovely shower, just the tonic to top us up before Christmas. A very comfortable retreat with a lovely atmosphere, John and Louise, you know we can’t thank you enough! With love, Pip and Johnathon, Humphs, Pheebs and Nora xx
How to find us
Victoria Cottage, The Common, Happisburgh Common, NR12 0RT
What3Words location; ///bordering.written.both
From the A149 Stalham – Wroxham road, take the B1159 towards Bacton. Follow signs to Happisburgh.
After turning off the B1159 signposted to Happisburgh (around 1.5miles from Stalham), you will travel down Happisburgh Road. At the end of this road is a T junction. Signposted The Common to the left, and Lower Street to the right. Turn right and about 200 metres on your right take the first small lane to the right. This is the main drive to the side of Victoria Cottage. Parking is to the left at the end of the house.