Dogs: 3/4 dogs
Sleeps Max: 4
Charming cottage, right on the dunes at Winterton On Sea
“We are very excited to be welcoming Jack’s Shack to our collection of totally dog welcoming Norfolk cottages. It’s not actually a Shack and Jack doesn’t actually own it! He is the grandson of the owners and they have stayed with ERC for many years before buying their own lovely cottage. So another family home joins the ERC family! ”
The village location and so close to the beach means that it is the perfect dog friendly Norfolk holiday cottage! Miles of walks from the door and all you need in the village itself, means you can leave the car alone for a week. If you want to explore you have miles of beaches and other interesting villages up and down the coast.
- The village has a very good dog friendly pub – The Fisherman’s Return – a short walk away.
- There’s are good fish and chips at Winterton Fish Bar*
- Good coffee, cake and more at Poppys dog friendly café*
- Find out more about the lovely village on the Winterton On Sea website here
- Join the chat on the Jack’s Shack Chat Group here!
- To find out more about the dog friendly beach have a look at the beaches page on the website!
- Also check out Seal View, overlooking the beach for hot and cold refreshments!
- A lovely selection of walks on the coast and inland are in this great little e-book here.
- Walks from the door are along the miles of beaches, the acres of dunes and easy rural inland paths.
- Be sure to explore much of the Norfolk Broads and the amazing Norfolk, dog friendly coastline.
- Jack’s Shack booked for the dates you want? Try Hidden Gem, Ruby Gem, Beachcomber or Skylark in Winterton instead?
- * We offer our repeat guests a voucher for both of these local small businesses (among others) as we really appreciate our repeat guests and love supporting local businesses!
For the dogs:
- Beds and sofa throws
- Bowls – many different sizes
- Spare leads – several including large retractable lead and 30ft training lead
- Crates on request (1x XL, 2x L, 2x M, 2x S, 1x XS)
- Dog towels
- Washable mats
- Poo bags and treats
- Freezer space for raw food / Containers for dry food
- I’m on holiday tags
- Dog shampoo and first aid kit
- Dog toys
- Collapsible water bowl and water bottle
- Small selection of gastro intestinal food/hydrators in case of rapid onset diarrhea
- Two “dog G8” with three sets of brackets located top and bottom of stairs and over kitchen door – so can be moved as needed.
For the humans:
- Welcome basket of local goodies
- Tea, coffee, sugar and milk
- Cafetieres for coffee
- All bed linen and towels
- WiFi Vodafone Fibre 1 Broadband 30.3 – 32.2 Mbps/Guaranteed – 27.2 Mbps
- Games, books, maps
- Washing and dishwasher tablets starter pack
- Hair dryers
- Iron and ironing board
- Woodburner with log supply
- Cooler bags and picnic glasses, cutlery and crockery
- BEACH STUFF – Loads of buckets and spades, 2 x boogie boards, multiple umbrellas, beach tent
- 2 x wind breaks, 4 x beach chairs, 2 x beach loungers, beach mat
- Beach towels can be provided on request, but will incur a laundry charge per towel supplied.
- Two full size sea kayaks – one single plus one double – with paddles – no life vests.
(Can be used by prior arrangement and signed indemnity with owner – contact us separately about these)
- BABY/TODDLER – Pop up baby bath that fits in the shower ( 0 – 48 months) with bath toys
- High chair, selection of plates, cot with mattress (sheets can be supplied)
- Toys and games from 0 to 12, bowls, bottles and cutlery
About the property
All about the inside:
Entrance through the side door into…
Kitchen/diner: A very well equipped kitchen with electric oven and hob, fridge freezer and plenty of cupboard storage space and worktops. Kettle and toaster and microwave. Wooden flooring throughout and plenty of room for the dogs. The dining table easily seats 6 and the 2 areas are separated by a feature brick wall. The sideboard has plenty of information on the area, games and a special information and fundraising section for the local seal colony. There is an adjoining utility room with dishwasher and washing machine and plenty of cupboard space for dog food. All the bowls and more are kept here for the dogs. Just off this is the …
Shower room: Walk in panelled shower, toilet and sink with cupboard storage, heated towel rail and window opening onto the dunes.
Living room: This is at the front of the house, beyond the dining area and stairs and both can be separated off by wooden stable type doors. The room is bright and very nicely decorated. There are 2 sofas, offering plenty of seating for 4, a large coffee table, plenty of books and a 43″ Hisense Smart TV with Freeview / Netflix. Winter evenings can be made cosy with the wood burning stove.
Conservatory: Just beyond the living room is the little conservatory, a perfect place to sit on a sunny day if it’s a bit too windy or cool to sit outside. Two lovely armchairs, table and lamps.
Back through the living room to the stairs which are a little steep, fitting with the age and style of the cottage, but carpeted and with hand rails both sides. There is the option to slot in one of the 2 supplied Dog G8s at the top or bottom of the stairs.
Front bedroom: King size bed in a roomy bedroom with a vanity unit – sink and plenty of storage. Wardrobe, bedside tables and lamps and views over the garden. Curtains have black out thermal linings. Windows have restricted openings but can be opened fully by pressing two buttons.
Rear bedroom: Double bed with hanging space and side tables. This is a smaller bedroom but this is made up for by the lovely views across the dunes and big skies. As with the front bedroom the curtains have black out linings and the window has a restricted opening setting that can easily be over-ridden.
All about the outside:
Courtyard: The front garden is a lovely long courtyard style area with plenty of room for the 2 sets of seating – one a picnic style round bench near the conservatory and the other is armchair seating under a waterproof sun-shade sail. The surface is stone slabs with plenty of plants. The fencing is solid wood all round and 6ft high.
Parking is inside the garage and there is space for one car across the garage entrance. Further parking if needed can be advised on booking.
Outside tap is located on the dune side of the house (ie at the back) and has one short lead to hose sandy paws and feet and a further long hose which is fed to the front garden. There is a small bistro style seating set here too.
Will this property suit my dogs?
If your dogs love running on miles of beach and dunes as well as enjoying country walks from the door, then this will be just right for them! Escape artists will be very challenged by the 6ft high solid garden fence that surrounds the garden. Diggers will have a problem getting out too!
Reactive dogs probably won’t be very comfortable here, though the area is generally quiet it is a residential area and there could be noises of other dogs and humans that may not suit them. We would also suggest that barkers would not be a good fit here as we do need to bear our neighbours in mind.
- The cottage is strictly a non smoking property.
- Please do ensure that you consider our neighbours by keeping dogs from barking unnecessarily.
- Most supermarkets deliver here.
- Electric car charging is NOT available at this property.
- Electric wheelchair and Ebike charging is also not permitted at this property.
- There is only one shower room and that is downstairs (bedrooms are upstairs)
- Crates. We would prefer that your dogs are not left alone in the property unless you are 100% confident that they will not get stressed.
If they are crate trained and you would like to use a crate, please do ask us as we have several sizes and are happy to loan them out for free. We know how bulky they are to pack!
- We also recommend a number of dog sitters on our website page HERE.
- Winterton on sea is home to a seal colony in winter and a small tern colony in summer.
- The cottage is in a Designated Special Area of Conservation
- Arrival and departure times – 4pm and 10am (unless departing on a Sunday when check out is 4pm).
- Arrival and departure days are Monday and Friday.
- Heating is electric heaters throughout and wood burning stove in living room.
Due to the age and style of the property, we cannot recommend this cottage as disabled friendly. The bedrooms are up steep stairs and the bathroom is downstairs. Access through both sets of doors includes steps. The property does not cater specifically for mobility, audibly or visually impaired guests but please do contact us if you would like to know more – email@example.com.
How to find us
No 4 May Cottages, Back Road, Winterton on Sea. NR29 4BG
What3Words location: ///birthing.panoramics.organisms
Directions: Enter Winterton village from the end of Black Street, past the church on your left hand side. Next look out for the small supermarket store on the left, just before the road narrows. Turn left in front of it. When you get to the corner of Back Road and North Market Road you will see a few signs saying “No Turning” ..”No Beach Access” – Turn right here down Back Road.
When you get to what feels like the end of the road, you will see a terracotta wall on your left – turn left and follow the terracotta wall down the narrow unmade road towards the two old garage doors. The road will then open up around the corner and May Cottages are on the right – Jacks Shack is clearly marked.