Dogs: 4 but flexible / reactive dog friendly
Sleeps Max: 8
Fabulous dog and family friendly house
“A lovely dog-friendly property. Tim and Tricia are to be congratulated in attaining such high standards. We have travelled all over the UK in the last 20 years and this is one of the best. We will definitely return, but please, Dear Visitors, let us keep this a secret!“
In a quiet and dog friendly Norfolk location, bordering East Ruston and Happisburgh and a very short drive from many of our dog friendly, sandy beaches up and down the coast. Easy access to the wonderful Norfolk Broads too for walking, boating, fishing, bird watching and general peace and enjoyment. Like a good wander round a garden? The internationally famous East Ruston Old Vicarage Gardens is within an easy walk (not dog friendly but well worth a visit)
- The Farmhouse has four bedrooms to sleep 8
- The garden is fully enclosed, grass and very secure too – 6ft solid fence.
- Solid fencing round the garden, not overlooked and nothing can be seen by dogs outside the boundary so perfect for reactive and energetic dogs.
- The games room has a pool table, dartboard and plenty of board games.
- A new for 2024 games room outside will also be available with table tennis, table football and more!
- The Library is a great place to sit quietly (and get out of the washing up!)
- Keep up to date with The Farmhouse on Facebook here!
- Outside paved sitting area for BBQs
- Outside enclosed warm dog shower with towels
- Very easy, quiet, stock free country walks from the door – not far from the easy Weavers Way.
- Booked for the dates you want? Try Thatch Cottage or Fenside.
For the dogs:
- Plenty of doggy supplies – including water bowl, poo bags and agility equipment in garden.
- Doggy towels and sofa throws
- 1x Innopet dog buggy, 1x Pawhut dog buggy
- Warm doggy shower room in the garden
- Secure large garden with lockable gate and high solid fencing
- Crates available on request (no charge)
- Set of Hoops – practice like Canine Hoopers!
- Enough freezer space for raw food. The Raw Dog Food Company delivery to all ERC properties with a min order charge of £10.
- Kipsters homemade dog biscuits!
- Dog sitting. If you would like to go out for a few hours and leave the dogs but are not confident they will settle, please check our website page for dog sitter recommendations.
For the humans:
- All bedding and towels supplied for each guest (tea towels, hand towels and bath towels)
- Balls and cues for the pool table and darts for the board
- Central heating throughout and independent heaters in each room
- Welcome goodies on arrival including tea, coffee and milk.
- Charcoal BBQ
- BT Fibre WiFI (50Mbps)
- Quiet space to work with office desk and chair
- Cot and highchair available on request
- Hair dryer
- Large wall mounted fans in conservatory, bedrooms, games room and dining room.
About the property
All about the inside:
Entry is through the front door into the well lit entrance lobby which has plenty of room for coats, boots and leads.
Off the hallway is the large and well fitted lounge. Leather sofas give enough seating for 8 and the original brick fireplace is a great feature with an electric, realistic looking electric woodburner. Huge TV and solid wood tables. The view out onto the front courtyard. There is a fascinating heavy horse harness collar on the wall, reflecting the history of the farm and a perfect corner for a large dog crate if your dog needs one.
On the other side of the stairs is the games room with pool table, dart board and a great selection of other board games. Also a smaller, safe dart board for children. Some lovely seaside art on the walls too.
Sit quietly in here for a bit of peace and quiet, reading time or laptop time. A selection seating, books and tables. You are more than welcome to take the books and replace them with your own. There is a toilet and sink in a separate room just off this. Back through the games room and left into the …
Kitchen and breakfast/dining room
Very well fitted galley style kitchen with lots of storage. Large 50/50 fridge/freezer, washing machine, dish washer, tumble drier, electric oven and hob, microwave, toaster, kettle. The breakfast bar faces the open plan breakfast/dining area which is on the other side of the kitchen, allowing a lot of socialising in this area and helping the cook! There is enough dining seating for 8, with a TV to watch too if you want.
Return to the hallway and up the carpeted stairs (with stair gates top and bottom*) * Please ask for more details of how this is set up if you have young children.
Large Master bedroom with ensuite shower room
This room has a king-size bed with an additional single bed too (ideal for parents and a young child). Wardrobe and dressing table with drawers plus bedside cabinets and lamps. Lovely views out of the windows to the front of the house.
Master Bedroom with ensuite shower room
Another king size bed with wardrobe plus bedside cabinets and lights. There is a also a dressing table with drawers.
King size bedroom
With views over the back garden and fields beyond, this room has a king size bed, a wardrobe and bedside cabinets.
With views over the back garden and fields, this room has twin beds, a wardrobe and bedside cabinets.
Separate bathroom and toilet in between these 2 bedrooms. The bathroom has an over the bath shower. The toilet is next door but separate.
At the back of the kitchen there is a small conservatory leading out to the garden. Fitted with blinds to reduce the heat if needed and fitted with a separate heater for the colder weather. There is also a fan for those really hot days.
Anti-slip laminate textured flooring throughout the house (stairs are carpeted).
All about the outside:
At the front, when you arrive, parking is off the road and outside the house with plenty of room for 4 cars on the gravelled area. This area is gated and walled, so once in, you can safely let your dogs out. Minimum height approx 4ft and small dogs might be able to squeeze through the gate. However, the back garden is FULLY secure.
At the side of the house there is another gate, leading into the garden. Solid, high and lockable from the garden side with a notice on it to let anyone who might visit (highly unlikely) that dogs could be loose in the garden. You can also access the garden through the conservatory. Near to the gate is a large enclosed dog washing area for the muddy or sandy paws (the dogs or yours!) with towels provided.
The garden is fully secure with solid, high fencing and walls. Nothing can be seen by dogs outside of the garden. Mostly laid to grass with some mature shrubs. There is a patio/seating area to the side of the house.
There is some basic agility equipment stored in garden boxes that you can use if you want to have a play with your dogs. Please note this is only basic and is to be used at your own / your dog’s risk. Hoopers equipment also available.
Will this property suit my dogs?
This house and garden should really suit most dogs! The garden is fully secure with a high boundary and a lockable gate. Nothing can be seen outside the garden. There is plenty of room on the ground floor to be with humans or get away from them – whatever they need. Parking is off road and secure too. Near to the beaches and some easy, quiet walks from the door mean that most dogs will get all the exercise they need!
Want to see more of our cottages suitable for reactive dogs? Check out our blog > Want to bring your reactive dog on holiday?
- No smoking please in the house
- Electric car, electric bike and mobility scooter/wheelchair charging is NOT available at this property.
- We prefer that dogs are not allowed upstairs and stair gates are installed at the top and bottom for dogs/children. The house is centrally heated but also has independent heaters in all rooms.
- Arrival time 4pm, departure time 10am.
- We would prefer that your dogs are not left alone in the property unless you are 100% confident that they will not get stressed.
- If they are crate trained and you would like to use a crate, please do ask us. We know how bulky they are to pack!
- Overoccupancy is not possible due to insurance and fire regulations
- All major supermarkets deliver here. Please book your grocery delivery for when you are here.
Parking is on the gravel driveway right outside the front door. Each entrance doors (front and rear) have steps to navigate. There is plenty of room in all the down stairs rooms. There is a downstairs toilet just off the library room. All bedrooms are upstairs. Stairs are carpeted, not too steep and quite wide. Bedrooms are very spacious and the ensuite bathrooms have shower cubicles with a step in. There is a commode for guest use. The property does not cater specifically for mobility, audibly or visually impaired guests but they are obviously most welcome if it is considered suitable within the current limitations. We are always happy to give more information on request.
“5 Star Great Stay! Thank you for the welcome goodies which we enjoyed very much. The house is very warm and comfortable with lots of info re local walks and attractions. Loved Cart Gap beach and the Smallsticks cafe. Winterton beach is also worth a visit with dogs that like to zoomies.” – Frances & Peter Gibbs; Bibi & Ralph the Rhodesian Ridgebacks
“Great dog friendly holiday house. Lots of amazing walks and beaches to explore not far from the house. Really recommend The Lighthouse Inn, Walcott, for meals out with the dogs, they are very welcoming and loved the dogs. Also the Smallsticks Cafe near the beach was lovely for lunch with the dogs. Thank you, Tim and family.” – The Chapmans
“Great holiday house for family and dogs. Lovely location for walks from the door and beach. Thank you for providing lighting when we had a power cut. We have used East Ruston Cottages many times and they have always been great.” – The Rose family and 4 dogs
“Fantastic holiday! Great house that ticks all the boxes for a large family with dogs. Great, attentive hosts. We would certainly recommend The Farmhouse to anyone. Thank you for a great holiday (and the weather was absolutely fabulous too!)” – Katie Allen and family
“A very enjoyable stay, thank you! This is the fourth ERC property we have stayed in over the years and would still highly recommend! Great location, lovely walks and fabulous weather! The Gardner Family
“We have had a wonderful holiday in this roomy Farmhouse suitable for multi-generation visitors. The Buddleia covered in butterflies has been a mesmerising attraction. The Dogs had the time of their lives enjoying their own sitting room, the garden shower room and being put through their paces on the Dog Gym !! – fun all round. Must recommend The Vicarage Gardens, East Ruston, next door – one of the best gardens ever!” – Rileys, Marshalls, Palmers & Bradleys
“Thank you to Tim & family, we have loved our stay at The Farmhouse! Loved The Greyhound, so friendly, great food. Sea Palling beach is just great too. Enjoyed the well placed accommodation. Will definitely return with our boys!” – The Purcells
How to find us
The Farmhouse, Thirsts Farm, Happisburgh Road, Happisburgh Common, NR12 ORU
What3Words location: ///prance.walls.rave
From the A149 Stalham – Wroxham road, take the B1159 towards Bacton. Follow signs to Happisburgh.
Just after East Ruston church on the brow of the hill, turn right down Vicarage Road and go past the internationally famous East Ruston Vicarage Gardens (well worth a visit!) Opposite the end of Grub Street (a turning on the left) is the farmhouse entrance. The side of the house faces the road. Turn right into the drive and then right into the farmhouse parking outside the house.