Dogs: 4 but flexible / reactive dog friendly
Sleeps Max: 4
Stylish barn conversion, deep in the country and close to the coast.
“On entering, we were surprised they were Dog Friendly….it’s unlike any other dog friendly holiday we’ve had. The property is beautifully decorated, stunning fixtures and fittings throughout, luxury for all and to think they actually welcome dogs!!”
This beautifully converted, luxurious and gorgeous single storey holiday barn conversion is in a wonderfully peaceful rural location. You can enjoy views across the fields from the bedrooms and from the enclosed courtyard with hot tub! Enjoy quiet and easy walks from the door with your dogs or head to the local dog friendly beaches. There is a great choice on this Norfolk coast – all a short drive away.
- To get more of an idea of a stay at The Walnut, please have a read of our blog here.
- And enjoy our beautiful YouTube video here
- Walk to the local dog friendly pub – Lessingham Star – see the easy route here
- Walk to the local beach – Cart Gap – see the route here
- Have a read of one of our fabulous reviews on the Dotty 4 Paws website here
For the dogs:
- Dog water bowl, dog towels and poop bags in our special dog hamper
- 4 dog beds: Sweet Dreams Giant Dog Chaise Lounge – Soft and comfortable design – Ideal for large dogs – Faux suede with a soft PV fleece lining (117cm x 61cm x 13cm)
- Large crate available on request. Other sizes can be provided by ERC.
- We would prefer that your dogs are not left alone in the property unless you are 100% confident that they will not get stressed. If they are crate trained and you would like to use a crate, please do ask us. We know how bulky they are to pack!
- Dog sitting. If you would like to go out for a few hours and leave the dogs but are not confident they will settle, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a dog sitter recommendations or Sue may be able to do it.
- Feed raw? The Raw Dog Food Company delivery to all ERC properties with a min order charge of £10.
- Fully enclosed garden/yard and paddock that can be shared
- Sofa throws provided
- Wonderful countryside walks from the door and a paddock to run in!
For the humans:
- High-speed Fibre WiFi (74Mbps)
- All electricity and heating
- All bed linen and towels (tea, hand and bath). All bed linen is non-feather, bed linen is Egyptian cotton
- Tea, coffee, sugar and some complimentary coffees/hot chocolates for the Tassimo coffee machine
- Information folder
- Hair dryer
- Fluffy towelling robes for use with hot tub
- A selection of walking/cycling/OS maps
- Iron and table-top ironing board
- Family games
- Laundry room (charge for use)
- Welcome hamper
- All major supermarkets deliver to The Walnut – we can arrange to put away your shopping. If arranging a delivery, please opt for willow Farm Cottage from the list as The Walnut doesn’t always come up.
About the property
All about the inside:
Entry through the handsome front porch with plenty of room for boots and coats and into the..
Open plan kitchen diner
Karndean flooring throughout this very well fitted and stylish kitchen with a small electric Aga, combination microwave, dishwasher, Tassimo coffee machine, toaster, kettle, small fridge freezer etc. Well laid out with room for 2 people to cook together easily. Plenty of crockery and cooking equipment. All you need for self catering. Lovely wood table and chairs to seat 4.
All part of the open plan area, making the most of the space and light and access to the kitchen and dining area. There are two comfy sofas (both also sofa beds) plus a flat screen QLED Smart TV*, a choice of family games and wide bi-fold doors opening out onto the courtyard so you can let the dogs out safely. (see ‘All about the outside’ below)
*The Smart QLED TV comes with some apps already installed i.e. film and TV streaming services such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube and social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. You can also view content from your laptop, mobile or tablet on the TV screen.
Through a door by the kitchen into the hallway and at one end of this is…
Very comfortable new king size bed with wardrobe, chest of drawers, hair dryer and flat screen Smart TV. Views across the fields.
En-suite shower room
Modern spacious shower room, with toilet, sink, shaver point and storage.
Comfortable new kingsize bed that can be split into twin beds for flexible sleeping arrangements. Clothes storage in two chest of drawers. Views across the fields to wake up to in the morning.
Modern tiled bathroom with over bath shower, sink and unit, shaver point and toilet.
All about the outside:
Enclosed with a 6ft wall to separate the area from the rest of the site and then 3ft fencing/wall all round to allow uninterrupted views across the fields. Tucked privately into the corner is the five-seater HOT TUB, very well maintained with the resident rubber duck bobbing about! The views from the hot tub are uninterrupted and across the fields where buzzards, hares, deer and owls can be seen and heard. Imagine watching the sunrise and moonlit nights all year round. There is enough seating for nine at the outside coffee table which converts into a dining table for al-fresco eating.
There is dedicated parking for two large cars, possibly more by arrangement, in the gravelled, shared area outside the barn. Please park to the left hand side of the barn as you look at it then there should be plenty of room.
Will this property suit my dogs?
If your dog is a jumper then they may well be able to clear the wall around the courtyard but if they are not then this could be a perfect place for them! The courtyard is walled and the paddock is fenced. The parking area is gated too. There is nothing passing The Walnut, so ideal for dogs that are reactive to people, other dogs or noise. The owners have dogs but they are kept separate from The Walnut and they totally understand the need of their doggy guests.
- The Walnut is a non smoking property.
- Bookings are from Saturday – Saturday with short breaks sometimes available out of season (Nov – Feb excluding school hols) if there is the availability
- Check in is at 5pm, check out by 9am please.
- The owners are happy to accept and put away a supermarket delivery on your behalf on the day of arrival, between 2 and 3 pm.
- The Walnut is a detached property but shares an outside gravel parking area and access with the owners’ property.
- There is no BBQ as the surrounding fields are often sown with wheat/barley.
- The washing machine in the laundry room has a small charge for use.
- Additional 34 litre counter top freezer in the shared laundry room.
- The paddock is available for guest use at all times.
Wheelchair accessible but more suited for limited mobility when inside. All on one level, shower room. Small steps up at doorways. Open plan living area.
“A true Gem in the Norfolk countryside, we really couldn’t have found a more wonderful peaceful retreat. Just beautiful. This was an incredible experience from time of booking to arriving back home following our holiday. Thank you Sue in the first instance for all your help and to admin for rectifying my boo-boo! The Walnut is superbly located in the most stunning scenic location. Paul and Stella were there to greet us and then left us to our own devices. Detached cottage with outside secure patio for our hounds and our peace of mind as ‘Houdini’ aka Josie the Basset, is a true escape artist ….not this time!! Parking right outside the property for ease of access and a secure dog field for early morning playtime and sniffs. Stunning open views across the countryside, completely dark at night for incredible stargazing. What a first impression, a real credit to Stella and Paul and to ERC for having this on their books!”
“On entering, we were surprised they were Dog Friendly….it’s unlike any other dog friendly holiday we’ve had. The property is beautifully decorated, stunning fixtures and fittings throughout, luxury for all and to think they actually welcome dogs! A delightful welcome pack for both hoomans and hounds – delicious. All our needs were met with sumptuous linen, towels and decor whilst the hounds had their own stash of towels, toys, throws and treats…even poop bags too. Thought of everything and we so appreciated this, in the past we have settled for mediocre accommodation as we always take our dogs but this was something else.”
“Great walks from the doorstep, the beach is only a good walk away or 5 mins in the car, easy access to supermarket and ideally located for touring around. We love birdwatching and visited several sights, glorious sand dunes and extensive marsh land, walks along the various broads, couple of woodland walks too (Bacton Woods is out of this world and is minutes away by car – take a picnic) Couple of really lovely food pubs close by, the Lighthouse and Star Inn both lovely food and great service. There are takeaways too in the local village. We are so lucky to have had the privilege of spending time here …. completely flawless. Huge thanks Paul and Stella xxx”
“My friend and I and our four dogs (three Greyhounds and a Pointer) had a lovely stay at The Walnut. Right from the moment you drove through the gates, you could see The Walnut ahead of you and what a fab property it is. The owners Stella and Paul should be extremely proud, especially Paul who did the build. The booklet showing the transformation of an old farm building to The Walnut was very interesting. Paul even had USB power points added around the property and there are plenty of sockets (you can never have too many sockets).”
“The beds and Egyptian cotton bedding were divine. The whole property had lovely touches of style and everything was high spec. Stella and Paul were lovely and nothing was too much trouble. I had requested a summer duvet and a fan and both were provided. The welcome hamper was scrummy and the dogs loved their biscuits. Our dogs relaxed the minute we put the supplied throws on the sofas. At one point we thought we would have to sit on the floor. If you want a beautiful property, in beautiful quiet surroundings, then The Walnut is for you. Sue Dyer and friend and dogs.”
“Thank you so much Paul and Stella for such a warm welcome to your stunning and beautiful property. The Walnut has been finished to an extremely high standard with fabulous attention to detail. Everything about our stay has been perfect, even the weather! Our stay has been warm and cosy with the added luxury of the hot tub to enjoy, both during the sunny afternoons as well as under the clear night sky. Thank you too for the fabulous welcome goodies as well as the thoughtful extras in the dog basket. Very best wishes and hope to see you again in the future.”
“Thank you for a lovely stay in your beautiful cottage. We loved everything about it from the moment we arrived. We can’t wait to come back. Wishing you every success with ‘The Walnut.’
Best Wishes from Jim, Vanessa, Archie and Pippa xx
P.S. The welcome goodies were wonderful, just about everything needed to start a good break.”
How to find us
Postcode: NR12 0RS
What3Words location: ///fruity.cherubs.repaid
The Walnut is in the small hamlet of Happisburgh Common, approximately 1 mile from the coast.
From the A149 Stalham – Wroxham road, take the B1159 towards Bacton. Follow signs to Happisburgh.
Just after East Ruston church on the brow of the hill, turn right down Vicarage Road and go past the internationally famous East Ruston Vicarage Gardens (well worth a visit!) At the end of this road is a T junction, turn right here. About 200 metres on your left, opposite the flint house (our Victoria Cottage is there) turn down the drive. Stay on the right hand side, going past cottages and then turn right through the 5 bar gate.
There is a sign at the end of the gravel track you will need to come up saying ‘Willow Farm’ to the left and ‘Willow Farm Cottage’ and ‘The Walnut’ with an arrow to the right but if you have any problem at all finding us just ring our mobile (07747 698 487) and we can direct you in!